Day of Action: June 21, 2019
Each year, United Ways across the country participate in a nationwide day of service called Day of Action. It's the perfect opportunity to roll up your sleeves and let your actions speak louder than words. It's the perfect way to show, by example, what it means to LIVE UNITED.
In 2018, United Way of 1000 Lakes coordinated several hands on volunteer projects from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. (check-in begins at 8:30 a.m.), as well as a community-wide Personal Care Drive throughout the month of June, to help vulnerable children and adults at risk of meeting their basic needs, including personal care products. The care items will be redistributed to United Way’s nonprofit partners serving disconnected youth, veterans and the homeless throughout the Itasca area.
2019 Projects and Locations:
Itasca County Habitat for Humanity and Itasca County Housing & Redevelopment Authority (HRA) - Various projects will take place
in the Oakland Addition neighborhood in Grand Rapids from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Yard maintenance and landscaping: leaf-raking, garden clean-up, pruning and yard clean-up.
- Exterior painting projects
- Safety and accessibility ramps
- Entry repairs: fixing locks, entry door repair, and/or replacement.
- Minor house repairs
- Neighborhood clean-up: dispose of items such as garbage, mattresses, old furniture, exercise equipment, appliances, electronics, and more.
- And more
If you live in the Oakland Addition neighborhood and would like more information about how to be a Day of Action project recipient or to learn if you qualify for home rehabilitation funds, please contact United Way at 218-999-7570.