Day of Action: June 21, 2019
Each year, United Ways across the country participate in a nationwide day of service called Day of Action. It's the perfect opportunity to roll up your sleeves and let your actions speak louder than words. It's the perfect way to show, by example, what it means to LIVE UNITED.
In 2018, United Way of 1000 Lakes coordinated several hands on volunteer projects from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. (check-in begins at 8:30 a.m.), as well as a community-wide Personal Care Drive throughout the month of June, to help vulnerable children and adults at risk of meeting their basic needs, including personal care products. The care items will be redistributed to United Way’s nonprofit partners serving disconnected youth, veterans and the homeless throughout the Itasca area.
2018 Projects and Locations:
Grand Rapids Farmer's Market - Various grounds beautification projects from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Neighborhood Canvasing: Help distribute information about the Farmers' Market hours and location, food assistance program, and their POP Club for children.
- Parking Lot Striping: Help improve organization and safety by remarking parking stalls.
- Bench Construction: Help assemble and paint Leopold inspired bench seating at the Market.
- Container Gardens: Help upcycle wood pallets into beautiful container gardens.
- Public Art: Work with a local artist to create large public canvases of art influenced by the growing season.
- Landscaping: Help improve the Markets green space with the installation of plant life.
- Plant/Flower Sale: Help raise matching funds for the Farmers' Market food assistance program.
Klockow Brewing Company - Family-friendly speed volunteering opportunities, live music, and food trucks beginning at 3 p.m.
- Kindness Cards: Create a card filled with words of encouragement to help others feel connected to our community and brightening their day.
- T-shirt Totes: Repurpose t-shirts into reusable grocery totes.
- Health & Hygiene Kits: Assemble care packages filled with toiletries for children , women and men in need.
2018 Public Announcement: Media Release | PSA | Event Recap