Day of Action: June 21, 2017
Each year, United Ways across the country participate in a nationwide day of service called Day of Action. It's the perfect opportunity to roll up your sleeves and let your actions speak louder than words. It's the perfect way to show, by example, what it means to LIVE UNITED.
United Way of 1000 Lakes is coordinating several hands on projects from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. (check-in begins at 8:30 a.m.), as well as a community-wide Personal Care Drive June 1st- 21st, to help vulnerable children and adults at risk of meeting their basic needs, including personal care products. The care items will be redistributed to United Way’s nonprofit partners serving disconnected youth, veterans and the homeless throughout the Itasca area.
Previous Projects included (subject to change):
- Park PlayStations: Volunteers will help launch the PlayStation initiative which encourages kids to be healthy, to play, and to have fun in their neighborhood parks. Volunteers will fill, install and promote lending libraries packed with play equipment in neighborhood parks.
- Public Art: Volunteers will help paint public art canvas designed by a local artist.
- Public Walking Maps: Volunteers will distribute walking maps and install way finding signs throughout downtown Deer River.
- Park for Health: Hosted by Get Fit Itasca, volunteers will stencil parking stalls at local stores and organizations, encouraging drivers to park farther away.
- Park Enhancement : Volunteers will help with park maintenance and enhancements, including cleaning, painting, landscaping and more.
- Community Gardens: Volunteers will help plant pop-up vegetable gardens and prepare and develop the site for new community garden.
- Bike Rack Makeovers: Volunteers will paint bike racks and redistribute them throughout the Deer River community.
- Personal Care Packages: To conclude the Health & Hygiene Drive, volunteers will repurpose t-shirts into reusable bags and assemble care packages for men, women, and children in need.
How can I take Action?
Anyone can participate in this national day of service – from championing a cause to joining a volunteer activity as an individual, a family or grab your co-workers and register as a group.
Join hundreds of other active volunteers for a variety of hand-on projects. Projects range from gardening and landscaping to painting and assembling. Volunteers will be matched with the project that most closely aligns with their group size, skill level and interest. You will then be connected with the lead from the volunteer team to ensure that all is ready for a successful volunteer project. Volunteers will receive a Day of Action t-shirt and lunch (t-shirts guaranteed to first 100 registered volunteers). Register for a full day (9 a.m.-3 p.m.) or half day (9 a.m.-12:30 p.m.; 11:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.). Check-in begins at 8:30 a.m. Alternate Day of Action June 22nd (in case of rain):
Registration Forms (download): Registration Form.pdf
Waiver of Liability Form (download): VolunteerWaiver.pdf
Donate Health and Hygiene Items:
Coordinate a Collection Box at your church, organization, civic group or business. All you have to do is collect the items or sponsor a virtual care pack with a monetary donation. Much needed items include: toothbrushes, FULL SIZE toothpaste, hair care products and deodorant, laundry detergent, first aid supplies, diapers, feminine hygiene products, paper products, and (new) wash cloths and hand and bath towels. Items can be dropped off at United Way office. Day of Action pick-up can be arrange by calling 218-999-7570 by June 16th. Read more from our drive last year.
Fill Virtual Box
Drop-off locations: United Way of 1000 Lakes. To have your business added to the drop-off site list, call 218-999-7570 or email us at email@example.com.
Collection Site Toolkit (download): Drive_Editable_8.5x11.pdf | Drive_Editable_11x17.pdf
Get the Word Out:
Spread the word about Day of Action by posting flyers (available at unitedwayof1000lakes.org). Wear your Live United shirt! Shirts can be purchased for $10 (includes a $5 donation to United Way) by calling 218-999-7570. Post a selfie of you and your friends and share on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts. Use Day of Action hashtags: #DayofAction, #Volunteer, #LiveUnited and #HealthyCommunities.
Get the Shirt
Day of Action Toolkit (download): DOA poster | DOA poster 11x17
For more information about volunteering or sponsoring the Day of Action, call 218-999-7570. Register as an individual, or grab your co-workers and register as a group! To sign up download and complete Day of Action Registration form and email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support provided by: